GEORGETOWN, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' softball team dropped a doubleheader at Southwestern on Friday afternoon, falling 9-1 in five innings in the first game and 8-1 in the nightcap.
In the first game, SU scored three runs in the first inning and added six runs in the third inning to take a 9-0 lead.
HSU had a solo home run by Sarah Truelove in the fourth inning for its lone run.
Carol Swindell took the loss to fall to 0-2 on the year. She allowed four runs in two innings of work. Brittany Acosta allowed three earned runs in her two innings of work and struck out three.
Kelsey Kingston earned the win with five innings of work, scattering four hits and striking out six.
In the second game, Acosta went the distance in the circle and allowed eight runs on 14 hits. Kingston went the distance to improve to 4-2. She did not allow an earned run and struck out four.
HSU took a 1-0 lead in the third inning when Jayton Gordon led off with a single. She moved to second on a Sydnie Darden infield single with one out and to third on a Mac Clay infield single. She came around to score when Shelby McIntyre stuck out but reached on a passed ball.
SW scored single runs in the fourth and fifth innings and added six runs in the sixth to open the game.
Gordon led the Cowgirls with a pair of hits.
Hardin-Simmons is now 0-3-1 on the year. The Cowgirls will host Texas-Dallas at 1 p.m. on Saturday. Southwestern improved to 5-3 on the year.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated
- Walter murder trial: 'Formality' in sentencing to call Abilene couple back to court Thursday