ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' softball team dropped an American Southwest Conference doubleheader against Howard Payne, 7-2 and 10-7 in eight innings, on Friday afternoon at Ellis Field.
Evangelina Tellez had a solo home run for HPU in the first inning and another run scored on a wild pitch on a third strike later in the inning to make it 2-0. The Lady Jackets scored single runs in the third and fourth innings. Amanda Gober had an RBI single in the third and Shandi Winstead homered to lead off the fourth.
HSU narrowed the deficit in the fifth with a pair of runs. Carley Willis and Julia Bradley singled to lead off the inning. After a fielder's choice put runners on the corners with one out Kara LeLeux had an RBI double and Jayton Gordon added an RBI single.
The Lady Jackets scored three runs on five hits in the sixth. Tellez and Tylene Middleton had RBI singles and Haleigh Caraway was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded.
Poerner and Winstead had three hits each for HPU and four different Cowgirls had one hit each.
Baillie Trumble allowed two runs on four hits in the complete game win for HPU to improve to 9-8. Brittany Acosta (7-13) took the loss after allowing seven runs on 12 hits.
HSU took a 3-0 lead in the third inning. Sydnie Darden had a fielder's choice RBI and Mac Clay had a two-run single in the inning.
HPU tied the game in the fourth with three runs. Caraway had an RBI on a grounder to short. Winstead had an RBI single and another run scored on a wild pitch. Jessica Morales had an RBI double and Amanda Cruddas had an RBI single in the fifth to make it 5-3. Middleton had a solo home run in the seventh to make it 6-3.
In the seventh inning, HSU scored three times to tie the game. Shelby McIntyre had an RBI single and Tera Davis had an RBI single to right that was misplayed by the rightfielder to allow another runner to score to send the game to extra innings.
HPU scored four times in the eighth. Tellez had an RBI double, Caraway a two-run double and the final run scored on an error.
The Cowgirls scored on a McIntyre RBI single in the eighth.
Caraway had three of HPU's 17 hits. Clay had three hits and Carley Willis, McIntyre and Davis had two hits each for HSU.
Caraway earned the win, allowing 12 hits and four earned runs in eight innings. Willis took the loss in the circle allowing 17 hits and seven earned runs.
HSU is now 11-24-1overall and 9-13 in ASC play. The losses eliminated the Cowgirls from ASC postseason contention. HPU improved to 19-18 overall and 14-8 in league play.
The teams will play a noon doubleheader on Saturday to conclude the season. HSU will honor Bradley and McIntyre on senior day.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated