KERVILLE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' women's basketball team saw its 30-game winning streak against Schreiner come to an end with a 71-56 loss in Kerrville in the regular season finale on Saturday afternoon.
For the second straight game the Cowgirls came out cold. HSU was just 4-for-24 in the first half and Schreiner hit six first-half 3-pointers to take a 32-20 lead at halftime. The Cowgirls hit 11-of-15 free throws in the first half.
HSU never got the deficit to single digits in the second half as Schreiner would answer every time the Cowgirls started to go on a run.
The Cowgirls finished the game shooting just 31.3 percent, while SU shot 44.2 percent. Schreiner hit 9-of-20 3-pointers.
Alexis Popelar led the Cowgirls with 20 points and Jaclyn von der Heide had 15 points.
Jasmin Copeland led five Schreiner players in double figures with 14 points. Lindsey Peterson had 12 points, Brooke Sanders had 11 points and Kelsie Jackson and Bailey Harris had 10 points each.
The Cowgirls finished the regular season on a three-game losing streak. HSU is now 13-12 overall and 11-8 in the ASC. HSU finished third in the ASC West and will play Texas-Dallas in the first round of the ASC Tournament on Friday in Brownwood at 5 p.m.
The game was the final game for Schreiner as a member of the ASC and it was the first time the Cowgirls lost to SU in ASC action. Schreiner finished the year with a record of 9-16 overall and 5-14 in league play.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Calais 'Jungle': Demolition of massive migrant camp to begin
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- KTXS Forecast: Cloud cover temporarily increases for Tuesday
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer