BROWNWOOD, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' women's team evened its American Southwest Conference record with a 5-4 win over Howard Payne on Thursday in Brownwood.
The Cowgirls took a 2-1 lead in doubles play. Angie Nhan and Genene Haddad won at No. 1 and Kelci Jackson and Tram Le won 8-4 at No. 2 doubles.
HPU claimed wins at No. 1 and No. 3 singles and Nhan and Le won at No. 2 and 4 singles respectively to give HSU a 4-3 lead. Amelia Chaney claimed the winning point for the Cowgirls with a 7-5, 6-2 win at No. 5 singles.
HSU is now 3-10 on the year and 2-2 in ASC play. Howard Payne fell to 3-9 overall and 1-4 in ASC action. HSU hosts UT-Dallas on Friday at 3 p.m. and will close the season at Mary Hardin-Baylor on Saturday.
Hardin-Simmons 5, Howard Payne 4
1. Joan Burks (HPU) def. Genene Haddad, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
2. Angie Nhan (HSU) def. Whitney Turnacliff, 6-0, 6-1
3. Samantha Guerrero (HPU) def. Kelci Jackson, 6-3, 6-4
4. Tram Le (HSU) def. Kaila Martin, 6-4, 7-5
5. Amelia Cheney (HSU) def. Andrea Leonard, 7-5, 6-2
6. Cathryn Rasbury (HPU) def. Shelby Saul, 6-4, 1-6, 10-5
1. Haddad/Nhan (HSU) def. Burks/Guerrero, 8-2
2. Jackson/Le (HSU) def. Larissa Lynskey/Martin, 8-4
3. Turnacliff/Leonard (HPU) def. Cheney/Saul, 8-4
Information for this story provided by HSU Sports Information.
- Updated Police: Abilene kidnapping suspect threatened to kill victim, family
- Updated Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Updated Olympic gold medalist Simone Biles welcomed home to Texas
- Updated 2016 rainfall totals exceed normal yearly average in Abilene
- Updated Rival schools lend football gear to Oklahoma team after fire