ABILENE, Texas - Freshman Kynzie Newman nailed 6 of 7 3-pointers in finishing with a career and game high 22 points Saturday night as Abilene Christian coasted to a 90-43 victory over Cameron at Moody Coliseum.
Newman was one of five Wildcats to reach double figures along with Kelsey Smith (18), Renata Marquez (15), Sadie Dickinson (14) and Mackenzie Lankford as ACU improved to 8-3 overall and 4-2 within the Lone Star Conference.
The defeat dropped Cameron's season marks to 3-9 overall and 2-4 within the league. Chelsea Stamp's 13 points led the Aggies.
ACU took a 37-22 lead into halftime and then played one of its best second halves of the season, scoring 53 points on 16-of-30 shooting while simultaneously holding Cameron to 21 points on 13 free throws and three field goals – two of which were 3-pointers. The Wildcats also knocked down 6 of 13 treys and 15 of 16-second half free throws to finish the game 19 for 20.
Defensively, ACU came away with 50 rebounds and forced the Aggies into 18 turnovers, which the Wildcats then converted into 31 points. Sophomore Shannon Sanders had the most boards with nine, followed by Smith and Dickinson, each of who had eight.
ACU also dominated in the paint, 34-12, while its bench outscored Cameron's, 32-9.
The Wildcats return to action Jan. 9 with a road game at Texas Woman's. ACU head coach Julie Goodenough (297-222) begins next week three wins away from No. 300. The earliest she could reach this milestone is on Jan. 15, 2013 at home vs. Incarnate Word.
Information provided by ACU athletics department.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer