ABILENE, Texas - Every week, the KTXS Sports Team will choose a high school football player from across the Big Country who showed exemplary skill and leadership on Friday night.
Below are the Abilene Teachers Federal Credit Union Player of the Weeks from the 2017 season. You can read and watch their story by clicking on their name.
KTXS ATFCU "Player of the Week" winners:
Week 1 (Sept.1): Anson quarterback Drew Hagler - Rushed 20 times for 190 yards and 4 touchdowns. He also was 11 of 24 passing for 157 yards, 1 TD, no interceptions. On Defense, he had 5 tackles and 2 interceptions.
Week 2 (Sept. 8): Cooper quarterback Ender Freeman - 40/52 passing (started 15/15), 463 yards, 3 TDs including game-winner to beat Grapevine while playing for sick grandmother
Week 3 (Sept 16): Cooper running back Tyrees Whitfield - 29 carries, 259 yards, 6 TDs; 3 catches, 73 yards, TD in Crosstown Showdown win over Abilene High. His seven TDs broke a single-game school record.
Week 4 (Sept. 22): Albany quarterback Brian Hamilton - 12/19 passing 260 yards, 4 TD's; 1 rushing TD; INT return for TD in win over Anson
Week 5 (Sept. 29): Merkel quarterback, defensive back Cole Wilkerson - 8/11 passing, 240 yards, 3 TD's; 10 carries, 85 yards in win over Stanton
Week 6 (Oct. 6): Sweetwater wide receiver, defensive back Kobe Clark - 7 catches, 216 yards, responsible for 6 TD’s (Punt return, fumble return, pick-6, & 3 receiving) in win over Lamesa.
Week 7 (Oct. 13): Stamford running back Steven "Bo Bo" Johnson - 21 carries, 214 yards rushing, 3 touchdowns; 43 yards receiving, TD in win over rival Anson.
Week 8 (Oct. 20): Comanche running back Colton Roberts - 21 carries, 267 yards, 3 TD's; 35 yard receiving TD in win over Merkel
Week 9 (Oct. 27): Anson running back Elijah Moser - 25 carries, 255 yards, 4 TD's in win over Forsan. Was also his return to playing after missing 2 weeks due to a big concussion.
Week 10 (Nov. 3): Jim Ned running back Cooper Castro - 19 carries, 111 yards, 3 TD’s; 62 yards receiving, TD in win over Clyde.
Week 11 (Nov. 10): Clyde quarterback Payton Burton - 13/18 passing, 141 yards, 4 TD's; 10 carries, 121 yards, 3 TD's in win over Brady
Week 12 (Nov. 17): Albany wide receiver, defensive back Adam Faith - 8 catches, 129 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs on defense, including one returned for a TD in bi-district win over Irion County.
- Warrant: Abilene man used cell phone to force girl into sex for 4 years
- Abilene police: Elderly man paid to watch, have sex with teens
- Prostitution bust at north Abilene massage parlor
- Abilene police arrest Grinch who tried to steal Christmas
- Salvation Army needs your help this holiday season
- Taylor County Sheriff's Office behind the wheel for simulator training
- Man arrested in Brownwood's largest meth bust gets indicted
- City of Early declines using taxpayer funds to pay for lobbyist
- Thousands of toys and dollars collected at Brownwood toy drive
- Brownwood approves retaining a lobbyist after 2 people speak up against it
- Ranger College releases settlement with former professor over sexual harassment allegations
- Brown County veteran being sued by hospital for unpaid fees
- Clyde man indicted for sexual assault
- Dallas Cowboys apologize to Coleman family for mistreatment of their handicapped daughter
- Big County couple says AT&T Stadium mistreated their handicapped daughter
- 1 killed, 2 injured in I-20 crash near Colorado City
- After 5-1 school board vote, Chris Hagler's contract renewed with Anson
- Stamford's James Washington claims Biletnikoff Award as nation's best receiver