ABILENE, TX - The Abilene High Eagles took to the field at Shotwell Stadium Friday morning hosting Copperas Cove.
Despite being their weaker side of the ball, the defense came to play, forcing a handful of turnovers, with an overall stellar performance.
The star of today's scrimmage was sophomore running back Abram Smith. He showed flashes of greatness with his quickness and elusiveness, not to mention he capped off his afternoon with this 27 yard touchdown.
"We came out here playing the best could and we know what we're capable of, so we just came out here head strong and just went after it," said Smith.
Coach Steve Warren definitely took notice of his performance, but wasn't surprised it came from Smith.
"We got to have a good running game and he brings something to the table that sometimes you can't coach," explained Warren. "He's a special player, and he showed flashes of that today [Friday]."
The Eagles kick things off at Shotwell Friday night hosting Colleyville Heritage.
- Rival schools lend football gear to Oklahoma team after fire
- Police: Man charged in Texas mosque threat later apologized
- Active search over, suspect avoids arrest after high-speed Big Country chase
- New schools open in Texas town in 2013 fertilizer blast
- Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest