ABILENE, TX - The Abilene High Eagles took to the field at Shotwell Stadium Friday morning hosting Copperas Cove.
Despite being their weaker side of the ball, the defense came to play, forcing a handful of turnovers, with an overall stellar performance.
The star of today's scrimmage was sophomore running back Abram Smith. He showed flashes of greatness with his quickness and elusiveness, not to mention he capped off his afternoon with this 27 yard touchdown.
"We came out here playing the best could and we know what we're capable of, so we just came out here head strong and just went after it," said Smith.
Coach Steve Warren definitely took notice of his performance, but wasn't surprised it came from Smith.
"We got to have a good running game and he brings something to the table that sometimes you can't coach," explained Warren. "He's a special player, and he showed flashes of that today [Friday]."
The Eagles kick things off at Shotwell Friday night hosting Colleyville Heritage.
- Updated Teenage suspect arrested in Hamlin murder; 2nd suspect wanted
- Updated Abilene police ask for help identifying man who robbed 2 convenience stores
- Updated House fires fought in north, south Abilene
- Big Country 15-year-old sells steer for $345,000
- Updated Abilene man accused of molesting 4-year-old boy
- Abilene police ask for help identifying man who robbed 2 convenience stores
- 2nd Vernon College rodeo team member dies 8 days after Haskell County crash; 3rd death total
- Teenage suspect arrested in Hamlin murder; 2nd suspect wanted
- Abilene man arrested on child pornography charges
- House fires fought in north, south Abilene
- Brownwood college rodeo raising funds for families of deceased Vernon College students
- Brownwood teen gets 50 years in prison for murdering parents
- Sears Hometown in Early to remain open despite company's woes
- Scoreboard at Gordon Wood Stadium in Brownwood to be replaced
- Brownwood ISD considering random drug testing for extracurricular activities