ABILENE, TX - The Abilene High Eagles took to the field at Shotwell Stadium Friday morning hosting Copperas Cove.
Despite being their weaker side of the ball, the defense came to play, forcing a handful of turnovers, with an overall stellar performance.
The star of today's scrimmage was sophomore running back Abram Smith. He showed flashes of greatness with his quickness and elusiveness, not to mention he capped off his afternoon with this 27 yard touchdown.
"We came out here playing the best could and we know what we're capable of, so we just came out here head strong and just went after it," said Smith.
Coach Steve Warren definitely took notice of his performance, but wasn't surprised it came from Smith.
"We got to have a good running game and he brings something to the table that sometimes you can't coach," explained Warren. "He's a special player, and he showed flashes of that today [Friday]."
The Eagles kick things off at Shotwell Friday night hosting Colleyville Heritage.
- Updated 1 killed in crash on I-20 involving bus carrying high school cheerleaders
- Updated Oakland fire kills at least 9 at warehouse party, fire chief says
- Dyess Air Force Base unveils Wall of Honor
- Updated Abilene church raises money for Kenyan orphans
- McMurry University hosts annual high school debates
- Christmas market in Abilene benefits African orphanage
- Russian man caught with synthetic opioid in Abilene, could face deportation
- Abilene's Food for Fares campaign nearing its end
- City of Abilene offering trolley tour of homes decorated for holidays
- Abilene parents fear impending cuts to therapy for children