ABILENE, TX - The Abilene High Eagles took to the field at Shotwell Stadium Friday morning hosting Copperas Cove.
Despite being their weaker side of the ball, the defense came to play, forcing a handful of turnovers, with an overall stellar performance.
The star of today's scrimmage was sophomore running back Abram Smith. He showed flashes of greatness with his quickness and elusiveness, not to mention he capped off his afternoon with this 27 yard touchdown.
"We came out here playing the best could and we know what we're capable of, so we just came out here head strong and just went after it," said Smith.
Coach Steve Warren definitely took notice of his performance, but wasn't surprised it came from Smith.
"We got to have a good running game and he brings something to the table that sometimes you can't coach," explained Warren. "He's a special player, and he showed flashes of that today [Friday]."
The Eagles kick things off at Shotwell Friday night hosting Colleyville Heritage.
- Emmy-winning actor and Fort Worth native Bill Paxton, 61, dies from surgery complications
- San Angelo city councilman resigns after racial comments about police
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Former Sweetwater teacher indicted on 3 child sex charges
- Updated Truck rams New Orleans crowd during Mardi Gras parade; 28 injured
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash