ABILENE, TX - On Friday night, things pick up under the lights at Shotwell Stadium. The Abilene High Eagles host Colleyville Heritage as a part of the Champions Classic.
Under the leadership of quarterback Derek Scott and defensive lineman Miguel Espinoza, the Eagles return a lot of experience from last year, as well as some new faces that should give Heritage quite the test on Friday night.
Coming off their worst season since 1998, the Eagles are back, and not only with renewed confidence, but with a team that has a very close bond.
"I don't think there's any doubt that we have a great chemistry on this football team. A lot of it is, because they've worked shoulder-to-shoulder really really hard through the off-season, through the summer, and through two-a-days," said head coach Steve Warren.
Going into Friday night's match-up, the Eagles are confident in their game-plan.
"We've got an experience factor maybe with a coaching staff that's been in place a long time, and they are all brand new," said Warren. "But on the flip side of that, there's a lot of unknowns with them. So what we have to do is take care of the Eagles . We've got to go out, do our thing. And execute as well as we can, and hopefully that will be good enough to get a win."
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash