MERKEL, Texas - John Cornelius was once an assistant and coordinator for Merkel Football, now he's in line to be head coach.
KTXS Sports spoke with district superintendent Bill Hood on Thursday, who confirmed they offered a contract for Cornelius to take over.
Hood said he's glad to have him (Cornelius) back.
If the school board approves the hire at their meeting next Wednesday evening, Cornelius will take over for Kieth Mullins.
After coaching as an assistant and coordinator from 2005-09 at Merkel, Cornelius was head coach at 1A Tahoka.
Merkel finished the 2013 season with a 1-9 record.
- Updated Police save Texas robbery suspect from burning car after chase
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Hot and sunny weekend ahead
- Updated 3 Big Country hospitals receive high marks from federal government
- Updated Building partially collapses in Hamlin
- Updated Texan fatally shot girlfriend, her friend, his son, 3, self