MERKEL, Texas - John Cornelius was once an assistant and coordinator for Merkel Football, now he's in line to be head coach.
KTXS Sports spoke with district superintendent Bill Hood on Thursday, who confirmed they offered a contract for Cornelius to take over.
Hood said he's glad to have him (Cornelius) back.
If the school board approves the hire at their meeting next Wednesday evening, Cornelius will take over for Kieth Mullins.
After coaching as an assistant and coordinator from 2005-09 at Merkel, Cornelius was head coach at 1A Tahoka.
Merkel finished the 2013 season with a 1-9 record.
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue
- Police arrest San Angelo city employee after theft investigation
- Abilene BBB on high alert for phone scammers claiming to be with IRS
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- Texas ag chief OKs use of poison to bring a 'hog apocalypse'