MERKEL, Texas - John Cornelius was once an assistant and coordinator for Merkel Football, now he's in line to be head coach.
KTXS Sports spoke with district superintendent Bill Hood on Thursday, who confirmed they offered a contract for Cornelius to take over.
Hood said he's glad to have him (Cornelius) back.
If the school board approves the hire at their meeting next Wednesday evening, Cornelius will take over for Kieth Mullins.
After coaching as an assistant and coordinator from 2005-09 at Merkel, Cornelius was head coach at 1A Tahoka.
Merkel finished the 2013 season with a 1-9 record.
- Updated Winters man one of 25 to receive Carnegie Hero medal
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- KTXS Forecast: Slight warm up today then another cold front arrives Thursday
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend