MERKEL, Texas - John Cornelius was once an assistant and coordinator for Merkel Football, now he's in line to be head coach.
KTXS Sports spoke with district superintendent Bill Hood on Thursday, who confirmed they offered a contract for Cornelius to take over.
Hood said he's glad to have him (Cornelius) back.
If the school board approves the hire at their meeting next Wednesday evening, Cornelius will take over for Kieth Mullins.
After coaching as an assistant and coordinator from 2005-09 at Merkel, Cornelius was head coach at 1A Tahoka.
Merkel finished the 2013 season with a 1-9 record.
- Event to fight hunger in Brown County offering soup, bowls
- Brown County Christian school gets anonymous donation to pay for safety signs
- Brownwood joins several Big Country cities in suspending hikes to energy rates
- Hendrick Surgery Center in Brownwood set to open in May
- Brown County DA getting new software to increase transparency