HAWLEY, Texas - Let the Mitch Ables era begin at Hawley high school! The school board voted unanimously to hire Ables as the next head coach and athletic director of the Bearcats program.
"Big Country's home to me. It will be good to get back here, and get the family here. I look forward to it," Ables said after the meeting.
Ables comes from Mt. Vernon, where he was Offensive Coordinator of a Tigers program that finished 5-5 in 2013.
He'll take over for Brad Schoonmaker, who led the Bearcats to a 6-6 record last season, including a berth in the area-round of the playoffs.
"We gotta develop a winning attitude and that's what we're going to shoot for is try to get these kids to expect to win, get that attitude, and get them to work hard and improve everyday, and go from there," Ables said.
- Man shot in arm during road rage incident near Abilene
- Man convicted of indecency with a child now arrested in Taylor County
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Financial shortfall forcing Meals on Wheels to cut breakfast delivery in Abilene
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Sweetwater teacher accused of relationship with student resigns
- Bond reduced for Ranger man accused of murder
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Winters man one of 25 to receive prestigious Carnegie Hero medal
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash