EASTLAND, TX - Last season's 2-A Division I regional finalist is out on the hunt again this year, but will be doing it with a young team.
Eastland lost 14 players after last season, a group that went undefeated in the district with just one loss all year. They also only have three offensive starters returning from that 2013 team.
But this season, the Mavericks are in division 3-A, pitting them against defending State Champion. the Cisco Loboes. For head coach Cliff Watkins, he's just focused on getting his new guys used to the system.
"With new terminology and everything, they're doing a great job picking it up," stated Watkins. "A lot of new faces for Friday night football, and they are all excited about it, and they are doing a good job working toward getting to where we need to be."
Watkins also realizes that it's a learning process and the kids are taking it one day at a time.
"It's obviously a transition now for them getting used to the weight of the pads on, and running everything in pads, and the hitting and the soreness that comes with it tomorrow, and just the fight all the way through camp. We've just got to get better everyday we're out here," said Watkins.
- Updated Enrollment up at Abilene, Wylie school districts
- Updated Video of woman chasing cat on Texas tollway prompts warning
- Updated Perfect strangers perform unforgettable duet at Texas hospital
- Updated Abilene man, 32, sentenced to 18 years for June 2014 shooting death
- Updated New Mexico governor: 10-year-old girl's death worst she's seen