HAMLIN, Texas - Hamlin is coming off a 9-3 year, where they were eliminated in the area round of the playoffs. The Pied Pipers know this year they have a chance to do something special.
"Anytime you can have 15 seniors, you feel like you have a chance to be successful," said Russell Lucas on his 2014 squad.
Hamlin is primed for a deep playoff run this year. It's dream this group of seniors has been talking about since way before putting on that varsity jersey.
"I've played with these guys ever since seventh grade [and] most since pee-wee," said Senior QB Cayson Georges. "This is just a dream coming true right here."
"We all have high expectations," added Senior Linebacker Brannon Stegemoeller. "We all have high experience and we have good depth. [Come the] first snap, first game, everything counts. One step at a time."
The Pied Pipers won't be an easy team to defend either. They return Running Back Tyrone Johnson, who rushing for nearly 1,500 yards last season. Also at quarterback, the district offensive MVP Georges will be back. The two combined for 40 touchdowns last season.
"He is a duel threat quarterback," said Lucas about Georges. "He can throw the ball really well. He's not super fast, he's not super strong, but he's shifty. He's tough to deal with back there. Especially when we're running the ball and [they give] Tyrone so much attention. You can't forget about Caymon because he'll hurt you."
As a team, they still know they're going to have work hard to attain their goal of winning a championship.
"They're not gonna pass out those gold footballs because everybody says we're supposed to win them," said Lucas. "We're still going to have to go out and work for them and earn them."
"Everyone's really happy to be out here," added Stegemoeller. "We've had great practices so far, high intensity, really good participation, and we're pretty much showing out this year."
Hamlin opens their season on August 29th against Anson.
- Man shot in arm during road rage incident near Abilene
- Man convicted of indecency with a child now arrested in Taylor County
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Financial shortfall forcing Meals on Wheels to cut breakfast delivery in Abilene
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood City Council approves bid for sports complex additions
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Sweetwater teacher accused of relationship with student resigns
- Bond reduced for Ranger man accused of murder
- Winters man one of 25 to receive prestigious Carnegie Hero medal
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash