ARLINGTON, Texas - Bo Wimberly has scored five touchdowns - including a go-ahead, 12-yard run with 1:55 left- to lead Stamford to a 41-28 victory over Shiner for its second straight Class 1A Division I title.
Shiner led 28-7 with 7:35 remaining in the third quarter Thursday before No. 7 Stamford (14-1) rattled off 34 straight points to stun the Region IV champions.
Shiner (11-4) advanced to midfield with a minute left following Wimberly's 12-yard score, but Oklahoma State recruit James Washington had a 77-yard interception return for a touchdown to clinch the victory.
Shiner had scored on four of its first five drives, dominating the time of possession. Running back Marcus Coleman carried 24 times for 169 yards and a touchdown, while quarterback Jacob Stafford rushed 25 times for 129 yards and a score.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Rose Park aquatic center to open this summer
- Updated Dashcam video of San Angelo councilman's altercation with police released
- 3 arrested for engaging in organized crime in San Angelo
- Job fair to be held at Abilene Convention Center
- Forecasters say parts of Texas – including Abilene – face critical wildfire danger
- Big Country 100 Men Who Care gives away another $10,000
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- John Lackey commemorative billboard to serve multiple purposes
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting