SWEETWATER, Texas - Five big country school's will be competing for the state seven on seven football championship this week. For Sweetwater though, the Mustangs are making their first trip to College Station in school history.
Under coach Shane Mobley, Sweetwater won their bracket in qualifying play after defeating Godley, Grandview, and Eastland.
Both the Mustangs and Gatesville won their semifinals, but a coin toss determined Sweetwater the tournament champions.
"They're going to get out there and they're going to get to see a different speed, which is going to be great," said Mobley. "[The] biggest thing I'd want to see out of them, is when we compete Thursday and Friday, is just have fun and stay as a team. They're fired up that we've made it. It's something new to be able to go to A&M. We've got a couple guys on the team that they are big Aggie fans, and they've never been there, so this is a huge opportunity in more ways than one."
Sweetwater will compete in Division II, Pool L with Boerne, Gilmer and Cuero. It's definitely not an easy pool as the Buckeyes and Gobblers were both regional semifinalist last season.
Sweetwater will have to finish in the top two to advance to the championship round Friday.
- Updated DISH Network subscribers lose access to KTXS, ABC38, MeTV programming
- Obama commutes sentence of Chelsea Manning
- Colorado City vet seriously injured in crash, fundraising effort underway
- Police: 2 children taken in 1985 found, mom arrested in Texas
- Video shows dog chained to open trailer on highway
- Abilene firefighters attack early morning fire
- Abilene trailer park tenants receive water termination notice
- Police investigating north Abilene burglary, witnesses give description
- Man arrested after leading police on chase in north Abilene
- Girl scouts pick up thousands of boxes of cookies for 2017 season
- Brown County Youth Fair steer auctioned for record $15,000
- Brownwood holds 5th annual MLK Day parade, ceremony
- Brown County fire department asking for help buying new truck
- Woman convicted of murdering Abilene police officer files appeal
- Clyde family seeks memorial quilt accidentally donated to Goodwill