SWEETWATER, Texas - Five big country school's will be competing for the state seven on seven football championship this week. For Sweetwater though, the Mustangs are making their first trip to College Station in school history.
Under coach Shane Mobley, Sweetwater won their bracket in qualifying play after defeating Godley, Grandview, and Eastland.
Both the Mustangs and Gatesville won their semifinals, but a coin toss determined Sweetwater the tournament champions.
"They're going to get out there and they're going to get to see a different speed, which is going to be great," said Mobley. "[The] biggest thing I'd want to see out of them, is when we compete Thursday and Friday, is just have fun and stay as a team. They're fired up that we've made it. It's something new to be able to go to A&M. We've got a couple guys on the team that they are big Aggie fans, and they've never been there, so this is a huge opportunity in more ways than one."
Sweetwater will compete in Division II, Pool L with Boerne, Gilmer and Cuero. It's definitely not an easy pool as the Buckeyes and Gobblers were both regional semifinalist last season.
Sweetwater will have to finish in the top two to advance to the championship round Friday.
- Man shot in arm during road rage incident near Abilene
- Man convicted of indecency with a child now arrested in Taylor County
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Financial shortfall forcing Meals on Wheels to cut breakfast delivery in Abilene
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Sweetwater teacher accused of relationship with student resigns
- Bond reduced for Ranger man accused of murder
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Winters man one of 25 to receive prestigious Carnegie Hero medal
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash