WINTERS, TX - The Winters High School Blizzards padded up on Saturday in front of their parents and friends for an inter-squad scrimmage, giving the community its first look at the 2014 team.
Winters heads into the new season with a new attitude, and a new district.
The Blizzards will face new teams this season, as they become the new kids on the block in district 2-a division two. But don't count them out. The team is returning 17 varsity players, including receiver-turned quarterback in Jimmy John Rippley.
The added experience is a bonus for Winters, who are coming off a season that they would much rather forget. The team went 2-8 all season, and only 1-3 in their 3A district.
Now in his second season, Head Coach Stan Caffey feels that 2014 will be much different.
"The second year is always easier, it really is," said a smiling Caffey. "We think we'll have, we like our schedule this year. Last year? We had a brutal schedule last year, but this year we've got a chance. That makes things a lot more fun."
Coach Caffey also refereed to his returning veterans.
"Experience is a wonderful teacher," Caffey explained. "We're excited about having those guys back again, and excited about being in a new district."
- Updated Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Updated Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Texan on 10 Most Wanted sex offender list caught in Mexico
- KTXS Forecast: Tracking scattered cloud cover with low to mid-80s for the work week
- Abilene locations to offer early voting Monday
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated