ABILENE, Texas - The Wylie Bulldogs open against the same team as last year: Argyle. This season though, Wylie pays the defending state champs a visit for redemption.
Head coach Hugh Sandifer and his team did not start 2013 off on the right foot when argyle stunned the Bulldogs at home with a 38-0 shut out win.
Junior Nick Ralston had a field day on the ground rushing for 100 yards and two touchdowns, while the Eagles went for 217 yards through the air.
Wylie did give up some points with costly turnovers. They also recorded an interception in the endzone, which was a brief bright spot in an otherwise difficult outing.
This year the Bulldogs head to Eagle country, where a difficult but exciting match up awaits.
"They're one of the few teams we play that just get on everybody that you have man-to-man, bump and run, just as tight as they can on us, and then put a lot of pressure on the other six players, so that will be a challenge," said Sandifer. "We'll have to find a way to make some yards, kind of neutralize that pressure, so we can have some success offensively. The great thing about playing them [is] every snap is going to get challenged when the ball is put into play."
- 6 cows killed, deputy hurt in suspected drunk driving crash
- Residents of community near Snyder report not having water since Wednesday
- Texas wife sentenced to prison for killing officer husband
- Kidnapped Border Patrol agent says he feared for family
- 3-year-old boy dies after he's found in hot car in Texas
- State cornhole championship held in Abilene
- 5 car wreck on Winters Freeway, 1 injured
- 24-hour amateur radio field day taking place this weekend
- 2 taken to Abilene hospital after vehicle strikes go-kart
- CityLink addresses driver shortage with pay bump
- Friends of the Library raises over $60,000 at annual Abilene book sale
- Amputee golf tournament taking place at Lake Brownwood
- Owner of Brownwood restaurant and motel disputes $97,000 fine for health violations
- Budget shortfall affecting maintenance at Texas state parks
- Brownwood ISD, emergency agencies conduct response drills
- Early ISD continuing research on proposal to arm teachers, staff
- 4th of July celebrations around the Big Country
- Area's best showcase their stuff in the State Lineman Challenge
- Train derailed by strong winds in Mitchell County
- More than 100 barrels of oil stolen from Nolan County drilling company
- Brownwood battles heat, snags 7-on-7 state spot in duel with Merkel
- Wanted Wednesday: Abilene police looking for 2 capital murder suspects
- Police arrest 2 Abilene men for stealing car, breaking into 'numerous' vehicles in Merkel