SAN ANTONIO, Texas - Padraig Harrington opened with a 4-under par 68 and took the early lead at the Texas Open on Thursday.
The former British Open and PGA Championship winner overcame the chilly early morning temperatures and steady wind to go as low as 5 under before finishing with a bogey on No. 18.
Rory McIlroy, who entered the tournament last week as a final opportunity to prep for next week's Masters, opened with an even-par 72. He was tied for 23rd with the morning rounds ongoing.
The former world No. 1 was 2 under early in his round, which began on No. 10 on the difficult 7,435-yard layout.
However, McIlroy found the water on the par-5 18th when his approach came up short - beginning a stretch of three straight bogeys.
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Improvements on way for Abilene Zoo if council approves bid
- Missing elderly woman found stuck in mud by two Abilene men
- Abilene council to consider approving water rate study, audit
- Abilene attorney vying for Abilene City Council Place 3 spot
- Council 'work session' to focus on curbside recycling, downtown Abilene parking