ABILENE, Texas - An opening ceremony will be held Friday morning at 7:30 am at Rose Park Senior Citizens Center. Mayor Norm Archibald will give an "Abilene" welcome and the Abilene Chamber of Commerce Redcoats will have an official ribbon cutting.
"This is our second year of a three year commitment for this prestigious tournament. Our hope is the Texas Tennis Coaches Association is so pleased we can add another three years," Debi Schultz, Director of Sales for the Abilene Convention and Visitors Bureau, said. "A tournament of this size is ideal to host in Abilene because of our excellent tennis facilities. A volleyball or basketball tournament of comparable size is much more difficult to organize with the lack of an indoor sports facility with multiple courts."
Abilene will play host to 300 athletes and their fans with 900-1200 people expected to stay in Abilene. Last year an economic impact of $220,000 during this two day tournament.
Chris Redman the tournament director and the Director of Rose Park Tennis Center said, "This is my first time as the tournament director for the 3A state team tournament since I began working at Rose Park. I anticipate a fantastic tournament and am hoping for good weather. It has been a pleasure working with TTCA and the Abilene CVB. Abilene's hospitable reputation across the state has made it a great place to come home to." Redman is a graduate of Abilene High and attended Abilene Christian University.
Games will be played at Rose Park, all three universities and all public high schools throughout Abilene. Game times are 9:30 am and 3 pm Friday and 8:30 am and 2 pm Saturday. An awards ceremony will take place Saturday afternoon at Rose Park Tennis Center.
Information provided by Abilene convention and visitors bureau
- Texas gunman had 2 weapons, thousands of rounds at scene
- Children subject of Amber Alert found dead, mother arrested
- KTXS Forecast: Isolated sprinkles possible then drying afternoon
- North Texas son, 18, gets life in prison for killing parents
- Fugitive Monday: Man, 27, wanted by Abilene police for parole violation
- Texas Roadhouse in Abilene donating to non-profit for cancer patients
- Man pleads guilty in connection with brutal 2014 Abilene murder, sentenced to life
- Abilene man fires shot during fight with roommate
- $4,000 TV stolen during burglary of Abilene apartment
- More Abilene convenience store robberies reported
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend
- Low enrollment causing Brookesmith ISD to look into restructuring
- Firefighters respond to house fire in Clyde, rescue dog