ALBANY, Texas - Albany softball is just two series wins away from making it back to the state tournament. This year though, call them a Cinderella story.
"Two weeks into district we were next to last," said Head Coach Jimmy Fuentes.
But the Lady Lions have turned things around in a big way.
"Our motto; is our will, our way," said Senior Shortstop Conor Wilson. "It's our will to get there, and we have to find our way."
"We didn't count ourselves out," said Fuentes. "I have to admit the girls let me be tough on them, get them refocused, and they were tough on themselves. We all got refocused together. We made up our minds that we were gonna turn this thing around and you know, in the end we did."
A big part of that is having six seniors on their roster.
"One or two seniors can't be everywhere at all times," said Senior Second Baseman Elizabeth Moore. "We're able to spread out our knowledge because one person doesn't know everything. We have really excellent hitters, we have people who know more defense wise, and we're really able to give the best advice in all aspects of the game to our younger girls."
It doesn't hurt that they have some pretty incredible postseason experience either. Last year Albany advanced to the state semifinals.
"Our core group of seniors have been starters since they were sophomores," said Fuentes on their experience. " They've had a regional semifinal appearance and a state tournament appearance, and this year they're in the regional semifinals again. I mean there is no substitute for that, and we're just gonna keep relying on our experience and out lessons."
I think the biggest thing is that we're able to come together," added Moore. "Having that leadership of six seniors, we're able to pull all of our freshman and sophomores and come together and calm everyone down. [We] realize that we just have to focus, play our game, and play Lady Lion ball."
If they do all that, Albany hopes it will give them a shot a taking home the state crown.
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- KTXS Forecast: Slight warm up today then another cold front arrives Thursday
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend