ALBANY, Texas - Albany softball is just two series wins away from making it back to the state tournament. This year though, call them a Cinderella story.
"Two weeks into district we were next to last," said Head Coach Jimmy Fuentes.
But the Lady Lions have turned things around in a big way.
"Our motto; is our will, our way," said Senior Shortstop Conor Wilson. "It's our will to get there, and we have to find our way."
"We didn't count ourselves out," said Fuentes. "I have to admit the girls let me be tough on them, get them refocused, and they were tough on themselves. We all got refocused together. We made up our minds that we were gonna turn this thing around and you know, in the end we did."
A big part of that is having six seniors on their roster.
"One or two seniors can't be everywhere at all times," said Senior Second Baseman Elizabeth Moore. "We're able to spread out our knowledge because one person doesn't know everything. We have really excellent hitters, we have people who know more defense wise, and we're really able to give the best advice in all aspects of the game to our younger girls."
It doesn't hurt that they have some pretty incredible postseason experience either. Last year Albany advanced to the state semifinals.
"Our core group of seniors have been starters since they were sophomores," said Fuentes on their experience. " They've had a regional semifinal appearance and a state tournament appearance, and this year they're in the regional semifinals again. I mean there is no substitute for that, and we're just gonna keep relying on our experience and out lessons."
I think the biggest thing is that we're able to come together," added Moore. "Having that leadership of six seniors, we're able to pull all of our freshman and sophomores and come together and calm everyone down. [We] realize that we just have to focus, play our game, and play Lady Lion ball."
If they do all that, Albany hopes it will give them a shot a taking home the state crown.
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- San Angelo woman dies in three-vehicle collision near Ballinger
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer