ANSON, Texas - Matt Villanueva and Chase Finley. Two names that make up just a couple pieces of Anson baseball's pitching staff. Their efforts have contributed greatly to the Tigers' success this post-season.
"The pitchers are doing a good job of staying relaxed, doing their thing. Hitting locations and getting ground balls and fly balls when they need to," head coach Mario Estrada said.
Anson has allowed only six runs in five playoff games. That includes shutouts against New Deal and Wellington.
Meanwhile, the Tigers lineup continues to put up crooked numbers on the scoreboard. The team has scored at least ten runs in every game this post season.
The competition is expected to be much stiffer when Anson faces Miles in the 1A Region 1 semifinals.
"They're (Miles) smart baseball players, they pitch good. They make a lot of contact, and they don't beat themselves. So, they're gonna be tough," Estrada said.
Game 1 is Thursday, 7 pm. at McMurry. Game 2 shifts over to Big Spring on Friday at 5:30 pm. Should the series go to a third game, it will be shortly after Game 2.
- Hillary Clinton's challenge: Igniting excitement
- Updated Building partially collapses in Hamlin
- Updated 3 Big Country hospitals receive high marks from federal government
- Updated Abilenians sought for curbside recycling program, deadline Monday
- Updated Texas sales tax holiday set for first weekend of August