BANGS, TX - The clock has struck the start of the high school football preseason as 2-a-day camps have officially begun across the big country.
"I’ve never had a group be perfect on day 1,” said Bangs head coach Jim Bird at his teams’ first practice on Monday. “You want to be that group? By all means, get it done."
The KTXS sports team first stopped at Bangs High School, as the Dragons try and put 2015 in the rear view mirror. The Dragons suffered a tough winless season a year ago, but with Jim Bird in his second stint as head coach, and a bunch of players returning, all things are looking up.
One of those players is Quarterback and senior Colton Brewer, who has the leadership and skill-set to help flip the script in 2016.
“In everything he does, from his work ethic to how he approaches practice, and to obviously the way he competes in the games,” said Bird on his veteran quarterback. “He's a four-sport athlete for us and we like our quarterbacks to be those kind of guys."
For Brewer, just the thought of last year serves as motivation as the season gets ready to kick-off.
"It's always in the back of your mind, so when you're in the weight room, it's there in the back of your mind in pushing, gaining. Then you come out here and push as hard as you can to make sure it don't happen again," he said.
And this year’s team is already on a path of success, just by the mentality coach Bird says that these kids bring.
“You know, last year is over with and we're going forward with everything,” said Bird. “The kids are doing a great job with putting that mindset ahead of them. We've got good leadership out of this group. They're motivated and they want to win, and they want to work hard. It all starts week 1 right here against our arch rival so it can't be a better start."
- Local church hosts car show to help victims of Hurricane Harvey
- DACA advocates march in front of Abilene City Hall
- Local officers collected tips at Red Robin for Special Olympics Texas
- Busch Jewelers in Abilene going out of business after 73 years
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Wanted: 10 fugitives sought by Abilene police
- Former HPU nursing school dean responds to students' lawsuits
- Brownwood man sentenced to 20 years in connection with 8-year-old boy's death
- Samuel Juarez Jr. guilty of manslaughter in death of Brownwood boy
- Ft. Hood soldier who led Brown County deputies on chase turns himself in
- Day 1 wraps for murder trial of Brownwood hit-and-run suspect
- Murder trial begins Tuesday for Brownwood hit-and-run suspect
- Anson man indicted for indecency with a child
- 2 arrested for allegedly distributing meth across 3 counties
- Hawley residents blame road conditions on FM 3326 for fatal crash
- Austin couple arrested in Winters for 234 pounds of marijuana
- Snyder man arrested for indecency with child
- Woodson ISD launches investigation into superintendent's sudden resignation