EARLY, Texas - Early high school athletic director and head football coach Brad Bowden announced that he has been reassigned from being athletic director and head football coach.
Brownwood Bulletin was first to report Bowden's reassignment.
Coach Bowden and the Longhorns narrowly missed out on a postseason berth in 2012 finishing with a 0-4 record in district and 3-7 overall. Bowden went 8-22 in the three seasons he served as Early's head football coach.
Early ISD superintendent Brett Koch spoke with KTXS over the phone about the decision to reassign Bowden.
"We at Early are very appreciative for what coach Bowden and his family have done with the Early community since coach took over three years ago. Coach Bowden made a positive impact every season that he served as the athletic director and was an asset to the Longhorn family. This was an administrative decision that I felt was the best thing to do for the Early Longhorns."
Bowden has been reassigned to another position in the Early ISD.
Coach Bowden texted KTXS this message in regards to his reassignment.
"I appreciate the opportunity Early gave me. We've faced a lot of adversity in the past three years and have worked hard to overcome it. We've made progress and the program is in better shape. I would have like another year to finish the job but as a coach you live with the fact that sometimes you don't get that chance. At this time, I don't know exactly what's next for me. I'll start looking for another job that will be a good fit for me and my family and then go back to work."
Superintendent Koch told KTXS that he will post the vacancy for the athletic director/head football coach position immediately. Koch hopes to have a candidate to present to the Early ISD board by February, and a new coach in place my March.
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth
- Teen killed in Coleman County motorcycle-truck crash
- Teacher Tribute: First-year Wylie teacher receives season's first honor
- Brookesmith school board selects interim superintendent
- Victim testifies against former chief in Anson sexual assault trial
- Clyde Intermediate School teachers save student from choking