With just 14 seconds to go, Kaimon Ontiveros returned a 107 yard kickoff on a reverse play to score. He took Brownwood to a thrilling 36-31 win over Burnet at Gordon Wood Stadium.
And for the Lions, starting district off that way is crucial. They were close enough to taste their first district loss on Friday.
With the Lions down by one, and 14 seconds left, Kaimon Ontiveros had other plans.
"I wouldn't have chosen for that game to go any other way it did because it just showed a bunch of resiliency and gave our team a lot of confidence," said Ontiveros.
"For Kaimon to do that, one of the most unbelievable things I've ever seen," said quarterback Chris Keesee. "I think he's a tough player, he's always on and he leads the team."
"Kaimon is a tremendous leader, extremely hard worker and is extremely proud to be a Brownwood Lion, and understands what it means to be a Brownwood Lion," head coach Chuck Howard said.
And sometimes being part of a winning tradition means dealing with nagging injuries. Kaimon has overcome a concussion and a quad injury to be back on the field in time for district play.
"Kaimon's been injured most of the year, to get healthy, we knew he could make some great plays and he certainly showed that on Friday night," Howard said.
"Coming to Brownwood was the best thing that happened. There's no place like it," said Ontiveros.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated