ARLINGTON, Texas - Colton Kent, who was named offensive player of the game, rushed for 149 yards and accounted for six touchdowns, Mason Reed, had 149 yards rushing and three scores and Cisco pulled away in the third quarter to beat Refugio 56-36 for the Class 2A Division II championship Thursday night.
Reed also had 11 tackles, 2.5 tackles for a loss, and was named defensive player of the game.
Cisco (16-0) claimed the school's first title in its fifth trip to the finals. Refugio (14-2) was thwarted in its attempt to win a fourth state crown two years after beating Cisco by a point for the championship.
Leading 28-21 at halftime, Cisco added 14 points in the first 69 seconds of the third quarter. Kent ran 63 yards for a touchdown on the first play, Cisco recovered an onside kick and Kent found Reed two plays later for a 45-yard score.
Refugio quarterback Travis Quintanilla was 30 of 42 for 391 yards with two touchdowns and three interceptions.
Running back Isaiah Perez ran for 107 yards and touchdowns of 5, 3 and 6 yards for Refugio.
Quintanilla, the Texas Associated Press Sports Editors 2A offensive player of the year this season and in 2011, finished as the state's career leader in yards passing (14,223) and touchdown passes (186). With 68 TD passes this season, he broke the record of 67 set by Ennis' Graham Harrell in 2003.
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth