ABILENE, Texas - It's been almost six months since Abilene High ended the 2013 football season, and in that time the clock has crept slower than any other off-season in recent Eagles history. After a 3-7 season, you can bet Steve Warren was anxious and excited to get his team back on the football field.
"We worked this off-season with a little bit of a chip on our shoulder," head coach Steve Warren said.
Abilene High missed the playoff for the first time since the last millennium.
"I liked the our attitude through working out and these guys were, especially the upperclassmen. They're bound and determined not to let that happen again."
Players like defensive leader Miguel Espinoza want to walk off the field of play on a much stronger note when their high school career comes to an end.
"We want to bounce back. We want to mostly forget about that past year and just come back ready to just get some more W's, and just the best and make the most of our last year," Espinoza said.
Abilene High allowed its opponents to score close to an entire touchdown (minus the PAT) more than their own offense was putting up each night. Four times in 2013, opponents outscored the Eagles by at least ten points.
So what did returning wide receiver Trey Dennis say the team needs to work on for the upcoming season? Toughness.
"Honestly, I just think we need to be more physical. If we just get more physical and get down and play dirty in the trenches, then I think our offense will be where it needs to be," Dennis said.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated