ABILENE, Texas - Cooper will face Midland Lee this Friday, almost a year to the day after the Rebels handed the Cougars its first district loss of the year in 2012.
Now, at 1-1, Todd Moebes' crew has some momentum carrying them to Grande Communications Stadium, while Midland Lee is limping into Friday's big game following a rout at the hands of Southlake Carroll a week ago.
No matter how well any team in district 2-5A has played to this point, its *almost* as if the slate is clean again. Now every game matters more if a team wants to join the playoff race.
"You just understand that this one's for keeps. If we'd have had to change gears for this game, then we would have the first two. Those first two games wouldn't have been as good a turnout as they were," Cooper head coach Todd Moebes said.
Coaches stress the importance of the remaining games in a season from this point on. Win, jockey appropriately, and the Cougars will make another appearance in the coveted "Third season". Stumble, and it will be over before they know it.
"The way our guys prepare, the way we prepare them as a coaching staff is to go out there and compete and the very very best, and get better every single day," Moebes said.
After the trip out west for the game against Midland Lee, Cooper returns home for its second district game against Lubbock Coronado (2-0).
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated