BELTON, Texas - Mary Hardin-Baylor's pitchers combined on a three-hit shutout with 15 strikeouts in a 3-0 win over Hardin-Simmons in American Southwest Conference action Friday Night at Red Murff Field in Belton.
UMHB starter Kreece Cooper (1-2) went five shutout innings allowing just two hits and struck out eight batters to earn his first win of the season. Jeremy Sapp worked a four-inning save allowing just one hit and striking out seven.
Jordan Dotson was solid for the Cowboys as he went eight innings and allowed just two earned runs and struck out five batters, but fell to 3-2 on the year.
UMHB scored two runs in the first inning when Heath Spencer singled and scored on a Zach Whiddon triple. Seth Mogavero responded with a RBI double on the next pitch and the Cru had all the runs it would need on the night.
Mogavero had a sacrifice fly in the third inning after a double error to lead off the inning by the Cowboys put a runner in scoring position.
HSU left 11 runners on base in the game. Troy Nicholson had two of the three HSU hits and five different Cru batters had hits.
The Cowboys are now 14-9 on the year and 4-3 in ASC play. Mary Hardin-Baylor improved to 10-12 overall and 3-4 in ASC action. The teams will play a 1 p.m. doubleheader on Saturday.
Information for this story provided by HSU Sports Information.
- Updated Police: Man now faces murder charge in Big Spring after woman, 64, dies
- Abilene police chief posts on social media after 10 morning crashes
- Girl, 8, gets $10K scholarship to University of North Texas after video
- Taylor County woman pleads guilty for injuring her children
- Two-headed rat snake gets new home at Central Texas zoo
- Blanket man gets 15 years for two separate agg. assault cases
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood City Council approves bid for sports complex additions
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget