BANGS, Texas - The high school baseball postseason has arrived. The Bangs Dragons have had a bit of a roller coaster year, but have their sights set on getting back to state.
"We had a pretty rocky start to the start of our season," said Senior Pitcher Brady Glover. "We slimmed down on the errors a little bit, not completely, but we're getting there."
"We struggled a little bit defensively and with some things early in the year," added Head Coach Jim Bob Williams. "But we're getting a lot better in those areas and the kids are working hard to get better."
This Dragons team isn't the same one that made it to the state semifinals in 2013. They're a lot younger and have only three returning starters.
"They set a good example," praised Williams about his seniors. "They lead by example and work hard. They've stepped up big for us this year as well."
Bangs feels battled tested despite the lack of experience. The Dragons finished in the final spot in District 6-2A, and had to fight in their final games to earn a postseason berth.
"It gives us so much confidence and so much more influence in the playoffs," stressed Senior Left Fielder Daniel Maoett. "We get to see our guys at their top, at the top of their game."
"We had to win a lot of games in order to get in," added Williams. "A couple of games we [even] got behind, but they were able to fight back and win those close games at the end. I think that's going to help us a lot."
Even though Bangs is confident, the Dragons know how hard they're going to have to work to make that trip back to Round Rock for state.
"Playoffs [aren't] a joke," urged Glover. "You get one chance and that's it. I mean you lose [and] you're out. That's the end of the season."
"It's gonna be a tough challenge for us, but we're gonna have to play well defensively, and when we get opportunities to score, we're going to have to take advantage of those opportunities," said Williams.
Bangs postseason begins on Thursday. The Dragons will play against a familiar face in Sonora. The two have battled in three of the last four postseasons.
Bangs vs. Sonora
Game 1: Thursday, 7 PM at Sonora
Game 2: Saturday, 1 PM at Bangs
Game 3: Immediately following Game 2 (if needed)
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated