LUBBOCK, Texas - Before Wayne Hutchinson stepped on campus at Stamford High School, the football team claimed just a few wins over several seasons. Now, the coach that cemented them at the top of the mountain is moving on.
Hutchinson was approved as the new head football coach at Lubbock Monterey Thursday morning. The Lubbock ISD school board's vote was the only hurdle left to pass.
On Wednesday, Hutchinson met with his team to break the news.
"You know, its one of the hardest things. I addressed our kids yesterday and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my profession because you know, you go to a place, you throw your heart and soul into a program and you took it from being at the very bottom and you reached the pinnacle," Hutchinson said Thursday after the board's vote.
Hutchinson led the Stamford Bulldogs to a 76-24 record in eight seasons, capped off with two 1A Div. 1 state titles (2012-13). He now looks forward to turning a 3-8 Monterey Plainsman program into a perrenial power, as he did with Stamford.
Lubbock Moneterey, which competed in 4A this season, will move up to the newly created 6A classification this coming Fall. Amarillo High, Amarillo Tascosa, Lub. Coronado & Wolfforth Frenship make up District 2-6A, along with Monterey.
Even as Hutchinson makes the move northwest, he's confident about the state of Stamford football.
"I think I've left the program in great shape. Whoever takes the reigns, I think, are gonna pick up and, and never look back," Hutchinson said.
KTXS Sports spoke with Stamford ISD, and they confirmed the search for the next head coach of Bulldog Football is already underway.
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- San Angelo woman dies in three-vehicle collision near Ballinger
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer