ABILENE, Texas - Wylie's Mike Lopez has done something no Bulldogs' boys basketball player has ever done before. Tuesday night, Lopez committed to suit up with Division 1 University of Texas-Pan American in the fall.
UTPA is a member of the Western Athletic Conference, and plays the likes of fellow Lone Star schools such as TCU, SMU and Texas A&M.
During his tenure with Wylie, Lopez was a three-time All-State selection and the Abilene Reporter News' 2014 Big Country Player of the Year. He led Wylie to a 62-9 record over the past two seasons, averaging 20 points and five assists in his senior year.
Former Wylie girls basketball player Peyton Little is currently playing at Division 1 University of Oklahoma after playing for one year at Division 1 Texas A&M.
Lopez told KTXS on the phone that he's excited and plans to join the team in the fall.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated