ABILENE, Texas - Wylie's Mike Lopez has done something no Bulldogs' boys basketball player has ever done before. Tuesday night, Lopez committed to suit up with Division 1 University of Texas-Pan American in the fall.
UTPA is a member of the Western Athletic Conference, and plays the likes of fellow Lone Star schools such as TCU, SMU and Texas A&M.
During his tenure with Wylie, Lopez was a three-time All-State selection and the Abilene Reporter News' 2014 Big Country Player of the Year. He led Wylie to a 62-9 record over the past two seasons, averaging 20 points and five assists in his senior year.
Former Wylie girls basketball player Peyton Little is currently playing at Division 1 University of Oklahoma after playing for one year at Division 1 Texas A&M.
Lopez told KTXS on the phone that he's excited and plans to join the team in the fall.
- Updated Obama shortens more than 100 prison sentences
- Updated TDCJ: Criminal charges against Abilene corrections officer dismissed
- Updated Texan who faked being decorated Navy SEAL gets prison
- Updated New 'Dancing With the Stars' cast includes ex-Gov. Rick Perry, 12 others
- Updated Whistleblower lands a $22 million payday from SEC
Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire