SWEETWATER, Texas - Sweetwater needs one more win to end a four year playoff drought.
It won't be an easy task since their last two opponents are Monahans and Wylie, each of the two teams in district 4-3A.
The Mustangs are fresh off their biggest win of the year beating Big Spring 42-9. That performance was the most complete effort first year head coach Shane Mobley has seen thus far this season.
"They showed the potential that they have we believed in them ever since we got here," Mobley told KTXS. "We tried to preaching to them about executing and what they can do. Size doesn't matter the size of your heart is bigger then anything."
The Mustangs' offense has gotten on track with the progression of sophomore quarterback Keegan Jeffrey. He's quickly learning how to deal with the pressure that comes under center.With their playoff lives on the line, Jeffery had his most efficient outing yet (15-22, 268 yds, 3 TD) in Friday's win over Big Spring.
"He's handled the pressure pretty well," says senior Ryan Linebaugh. "From the very get go you could tell he was kinda tight nervous and throughout the games he's loosened up like against big spring he loosened up really good and just played ball like he knew how."
With two games left Sweetwater controls their playoff destiny.
One win, and they're in.
The concept of being in control of that destiny is foreign in Linebaugh and the rest of Sweetwater's seniors who have never played in a single playoff game.
"It's way different," Linebaugh told KTXS. "Cause it's not just like oh we only have two games and we have next year now it's like we have a lot of potential we don't wanna lose it again and go down the drain and then just have a bad four years all over again. If we just show all the underclassmen what it's like to go to the playoffs that might spark the fire and bring back the tradition."
Sweetwater hosts Monahans Friday, November 2nd at the Mustang bowl at 7:30pm.
- Updated Armored car guard shot, killed in Texas ATM robbery
- Updated Teacher fired in West Texas after Internet post hired by another district
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon hit-or-miss t-shower chances continue
- Police ID West Texas man who died while hiking
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Bulldogs find way to win in mistake-filled season opener against Vernon