The University Interscholastic League Legislative Council met Tuesday to make decisions on proposed rule changes in UIL academics, athletics and policy.
The Legislative Council approved adding the UIL Young Filmmakers Festival and Congress as sanctioned UIL academic contests. These activities were added as pilot contests in 2012.
In athletics, a proposal to create a separate championship for Conference 1A baseball and softball was approved by the Legislative Council. Conference 1A and 2A schools will be grouped together for district play and advance into separate playoff brackets. Two 1A teams from each district may advance to the playoffs for softball and baseball.
The Legislative Council also voted to continue the pilot programs for UIL Spirit and Copy Editing, as well as the 5A and 6A pilot program allowing a 3-day evaluation period for 6th graders.
A proposal to create a pilot program, developed in collaboration with the UIL Medical Advisory Committee, for an injury data collection program was approved by the Legislative Council. UIL staff will work with UIL Medical Advisory Committee, UT Southwestern and the University of Texas at Austin Dell Medical School to create this program for the 2016-17 school year.
The Commissioner of Education must approve amendments passed by the UIL Legislative Council before they may take effect.
- Warrant: Abilene man used cell phone to force girl into sex for 4 years
- Abilene police: Elderly man paid to watch, have sex with teens
- Prostitution bust at north Abilene massage parlor
- Abilene police arrest Grinch who tried to steal Christmas
- Salvation Army needs your help this holiday season
- Taylor County Sheriff's Office behind the wheel for simulator training
- Man arrested in Brownwood's largest meth bust gets indicted
- City of Early declines using taxpayer funds to pay for lobbyist
- Thousands of toys and dollars collected at Brownwood toy drive
- Brownwood approves retaining a lobbyist after 2 people speak up against it
- Ranger College releases settlement with former professor over sexual harassment allegations
- Brown County veteran being sued by hospital for unpaid fees
- Clyde man indicted for sexual assault
- Dallas Cowboys apologize to Coleman family for mistreatment of their handicapped daughter
- Big County couple says AT&T Stadium mistreated their handicapped daughter
- 1 killed, 2 injured in I-20 crash near Colorado City
- After 5-1 school board vote, Chris Hagler's contract renewed with Anson
- Stamford's James Washington claims Biletnikoff Award as nation's best receiver