ABILENE, Texas - Cooper and Abilene enrollment numbers have those schools on the teeter-totter while Abilene ISD waits to hear official UIL classification, realignments. Wylie high school falls short of 1-thousand.
After speaking with AISD, KTXS Sports learned that Cooper's snapshot number is 2044 while Abilene High came in at 2107. Wylie High School reported 988 students. Texas's "Snapshot Day" was last Friday. These snapshots are total enrollment numbers at the high schools.
The Texas University Interscholastic League is changing its classifications and will release the cutoff lines sometime before Christmas. They are adopting 6A, and moving 6-Man into the 1A classification. Essentially, the UIL is mainstreaming its groups. 1A will become 2A, and so on.
Every two years, the UIL conducts realignment of classes and districts.
The "Padilla Poll", a popular source for predicting what the cutoff line might be, projects the new 6A somewhere around 2140. That means Cooper & Abilene High would remain 5A.
Think of it this way, remember in 2008 when Cooper was sent down to 4A? That's essentially what would happen to both schools if the Padilla Poll's projection is accurate.
Wylie's 988 students fall far below the 2011 realignment cap of 1004 in 3A.
In 2009 Wylie reported 940 students to the UIL, and just 927 in 2011.
All Texas schools must report their official enrollment numbers to the UIL in early November. District realignment won't be announced until early February.
Phil Ashby, with AISD, told KTXS the district has never petitioned to move either of its high schools to a different class.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated