AUSTIN, Texas - A third appearance in the 3A state title game in four years just wasn't in the cards for the Wylie Lady Bulldogs on Thursday afternoon. Waco La Vega used stifling defense to advance to Saturday's state title game, 66-53.
The Lady Pirates out-dueled Wylie in the first half, holding the Bulldogs to just eight points in each of the first two quarters, and held off a rally to advance to the title game Saturday against Argyle.
Peyton Sanders and Brittany Brewer led the Bulldogs in the points column. Sanders (15 pts, 6 reb) sparked the team in the third quarter with back-to-back three pointers. Brewer carried the Bulldogs through the first half and finished Thursday's semifinal with 14 points and 12 rebounds.
Punkin Mack, who entered the game as a key contributor on offense, was limited to seven points on 2-10 shooting.
Erin DeGrate and Calveion Landrum paved the way for La Vega. DeGrate's persistence on offense turned into a game-high 24 points and 13 rebounds. Landrum chipped in 19 points and dished out five assists.
Despite a 22-point deficit at the half, Wylie came out firing in the third quarter. The Bulldogs outscored the Pirates in each of the final two quarters, 22-15 & 15-13 respectively.
Wylie wraps up the 2013-14 season with a 30-6 record and 9th state tournament appearance in school history.
- Updated Agency shakeup: 4 regional CPS directors fired, including director of Abilene region
- Updated City of Abilene addresses high water bills
- Updated Abilene police officer murdered one year ago
- Updated Black Texas woman sues after being thrown down amid arrest
- Updated Leaders hold special meeting after 10-year-old girl's gruesome death