AUSTIN, Texas - A third appearance in the 3A state title game in four years just wasn't in the cards for the Wylie Lady Bulldogs on Thursday afternoon. Waco La Vega used stifling defense to advance to Saturday's state title game, 66-53.
The Lady Pirates out-dueled Wylie in the first half, holding the Bulldogs to just eight points in each of the first two quarters, and held off a rally to advance to the title game Saturday against Argyle.
Peyton Sanders and Brittany Brewer led the Bulldogs in the points column. Sanders (15 pts, 6 reb) sparked the team in the third quarter with back-to-back three pointers. Brewer carried the Bulldogs through the first half and finished Thursday's semifinal with 14 points and 12 rebounds.
Punkin Mack, who entered the game as a key contributor on offense, was limited to seven points on 2-10 shooting.
Erin DeGrate and Calveion Landrum paved the way for La Vega. DeGrate's persistence on offense turned into a game-high 24 points and 13 rebounds. Landrum chipped in 19 points and dished out five assists.
Despite a 22-point deficit at the half, Wylie came out firing in the third quarter. The Bulldogs outscored the Pirates in each of the final two quarters, 22-15 & 15-13 respectively.
Wylie wraps up the 2013-14 season with a 30-6 record and 9th state tournament appearance in school history.
- Man shot in arm during road rage incident near Abilene
- Man convicted of indecency with a child now arrested in Taylor County
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Financial shortfall forcing Meals on Wheels to cut breakfast delivery in Abilene
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood City Council approves bid for sports complex additions
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Sweetwater teacher accused of relationship with student resigns
- Bond reduced for Ranger man accused of murder
- Winters man one of 25 to receive prestigious Carnegie Hero medal
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash