ABILENE, Texas - Senior Sterling Bristow and junior Blake Frampton have been Wylie's one-two punch on the mound for the last season and a half.
The Bulldogs are riding a four game winning streak heading into a pivotal matchup with Snyder. Bristow's senior season with the baseball team has had a lengthier adjustment period due to the basketball team's run to the state semifinals.
"Sterling was a member of the basketball team so this year we are very successful. I think he's just really hitting his stride. Blake has been here since the start of the season and had to fill that number one role," said coach Martin.
After the basketball team made their run to the state tournament, Bristow had to ease back into baseball season. With their senior left hander adjusting back to baseball mode, it was up to junior Frampton to pick up the slack on the mound.
"He (Frampton) got a lot stronger so he was able to throw the ball a lot harder," says Senior catcher Jake Linn, "and he's really worked on his breaking pitches and his curve ball is really good now."
"At the beginning it was kind of rough getting back to playing baseball," says Frampton, "but after a while, once you get used to the routine it gets back to normal."
Wylie's ability to score runs in bunches have helped them to rise up the district standings. The Bulldogs have scored ten runs or more in their first six district wins.
"I think there is no doubt it's easier to pitch with a lead," says Martin, "and those guys have done just a really good job of being prepared, and the thing I've been most proud about is the way is the way the guys have picked each other up. If somebody has a bad at bat seems like the next guy steps up a gets a hit and that's the key to offensive baseball."
Wylie faces Snyder Tuesday April 15th at Bulldog field at 4:30pm. Sterling Bristow will get the start for the Bulldogs.
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash