CHICAGO - Derek Holland pitched seven shutout innings, Adrian Beltre hit a two-run home run, and Craig Gentry made a diving catch in the ninth to preserve the Texas Rangers' 4-2 win over the Chicago Cubs on Tuesday night at a cold Wrigley Field.
Holland (1-1) at one point retired nine straight against the Cubs, who have lost three straight games. The Rangers left-hander struck out six and allowed two hits.
Beltre's home run off Cubs reliever Shawn Camp was his second of the year and gave the Rangers a 4-0 lead in the eighth. Chicago starter Travis Wood (1-1) walked Ian Kinsler and was then relieved by Camp, who allowed Elvis Andrus to single to right before throwing a pickoff attempt away, allowing Kinsler to score and make it 2-0.
- Updated TDCJ: Criminal charges against Abilene corrections officer dismissed
- Updated New 'Dancing With the Stars' cast includes ex-Gov. Rick Perry, 12 others
- Arizona woman finds 7-foot-long snake near trash
- Updated Man on Texas death row for killing 2 loses appeal
- Updated Armored car guard shot, killed in Texas ATM robbery
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- TDCJ: Criminal charges against Abilene corrections officer dismissed