TYLER, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' women's basketball team fell behind double digits in the first half and could not recover as they fell 60-50 to Texas-Tyler on Saturday afternoon in American Southwest Conference women's basketball action at the Herrington Patriot Center in Tyler.
The Patriots hit six first-half 3-pointers and jumped out to a 33-21 lead at halftime. UTT led just 25-21 when Alexis Popelar hit a layup with 4:00 to play in the half. UTT then went on an 8-0 run to end the half. Taylor Murphy and Teylor Seals hit back-to-back 3-pointers in the run.
HSU trailed 47-30 with 9:59 to play but quickly cut it to 49-37. UTT pushed it back to 58-41 and the closest the Cowgirls would get is 12 before the final buzzer when Popelar hit a layup as time expired.
Popelar led the Cowgirls with her second straight double-double. She had 19 points and 11 rebounds and Coco Cartwright had 12 points.
Taylor Murphy, who hit four of the 3-pointers for the Patriots, led the way with 12 points. Five players had at least seven points in a balanced attack for UTT.
HSU was outscored 18-6 in points off turnovers in the game and UTT had a 29-10 advantage in bench points.
The Cowgirls are now 4-4 overall and 2-2 in American Southwest Conference action. The Patriots improved to 4-3 overall and 2-2 in ASC action. HSU will take the week off for finals and return to action next Saturday at home against Louisiana College. That game will begin at 3:30 after graduation ceremonies on the HSU campus.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Updated Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- San Angelo woman dies in three-vehicle collision near Ballinger
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer