TYLER, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' baseball team dropped a doubleheader on Saturday at Texas-Tyler, losing 5-0 in the first game and 5-2 in the nightcap to lose the series two games to one.
The first game was a pitcher's duel and was scoreless until two outs in the bottom of the sixth
Jeff Kosta walked with two outs in the sixth and Daniel Stagg pinch-ran for him and stole second. HSU intentionally walked Kevan House and then James Simmons got a pop-up on the infield that no one could get to and fell to plate a run. TJ Martin followed with a two-run single and Isaac Tijerina had a two-run home run.
Simmons allowed the five runs in the sixth but before that inning had allowed just three hits and no runs. He fell to 1-1 on the year. Jon Finney had two of the three Cowboy hits.
Jordan Marsh scattered two hits in six innings and struck out eight and improved to 2-0 on the year. Martin had three hits for the Patriots.
The Patriots scored on a William Allen RBI single in the third inning to take the lead and Allen delivered again in the seventh inning with a two-run single. Tijerina added an RBI single in the inning. Parramore added an insurance run in the eighth inning with a sacrifice fly.
HSU scored a pair of runs in the eighth on RBI singles by Marcus Uechi and Andrew Bell. Jon Finney led the Cowboys with three hits.
HSU freshman starter Matt Rhodes (0-2) was again solid. He went six and two-third innings and scattered five hits and allowed just two runs. Stewart Person came on in relief in the seventh and allowed two hits, a walk and two earned runs.
Jack Barkley worked six scoreless innings to earn the win for the Patriots to earn the win.
HSU (3-4) will play at Southwestern in a 6 p.m. game on Tuesday to end an eight-game road trip to start the season. UTT improved to 4-2 on the year.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated