ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' baseball team has been picked third in the preseason American Southwest Conference poll of head coaches, sports information directors and media members.
Two-time league champion Concordia was picked to win the ASC West and received 17 of the 21 first place votes and 139 poll points. Texas Lutheran was picked second with two first-place votes and 118 points and HSU was just behind the Bulldogs with 116 points and the other two first-place votes.
Mary Hardin-Baylor, Howard Payne, Sul Ross State and Schreiner rounded out the ASC West poll.
Texas-Tyler was picked to win the ASC east in a close vote over Texas-Dallas.
The 2013 ASC season – the 17th in league history – begins as early as Feb. 1. The eight-team conference tournament's first round, which is played in a best-of-three series format at sites of the top two seeds from each division, is set for April 26-27. The four victorious teams will advance to the double-elimination championship round, set for May 3-5 at the home field of the top remaining seed from the East Division. The ASC champion receives an automatic berth into the NCAA Division III Baseball Championship.
Senior pitcher Tyler Brunnemann, who went 3-1 with five saves and a 1.64 ERA was HSU's Pitcher to Watch. He had 55 strikeouts in 33 innings last season.
Junior infielder Marcus Uechi was listed on the Cowboys position players to watch. He split time between shortstop and second base.
HSU will open its season next Thursday in Arizona against Pacific Lutheran.
2013 ASC PRESEASON BASEBALL POLL
[Voted on by ASC Head Coaches, Sports Information Directors and Media Members]
Team (first-place votes) Points 2012 Record (finish)
1. Concordia Texas (17) 139 37-11, 17-4 ASC (1st)
2. Texas Lutheran (2) 118 27-14, 16-5 ASC (2nd)
3. Hardin-Simmons (2) 116 20-20, 12-9 ASC (T3rd)
4. Mary Hardin-Baylor 77 21-17, 11-10 ASC (5th)
5. Howard Payne 60 14-24, 7-14 ASC (6th)
6. Sul Ross State 50 9-30, 5-16 ASC (7th)
7. Schreiner 38 7-33, 4-17 ASC (8th)
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend