MERKEL, Texas - In 2012, the Merkel girls high school basketball team went undefeated in the regular season only to lose in the area round to the Wall Hawks.
In, 2013, the Lady Badgers finished the regular season 33-1 with their only loss coming to tenth ranked Comanche two weeks ago in district play.
That loss has lit a fire beneath the entire team as they prepare for the playoffs.
"I just think that going in (to the playoffs) with a loss, knowing how it feels, that we don't wanna feel that way," says senior point guard Ciara Cope. " I really feel like it's gonna help in the long run, now we just wanna beat everybody that comes in our path," added Cope.
"I really feel like it's made us a lot more motivated," says senior forward Macy Mays. "We're all striving to be the best in practice. I mean we were before but now we're just so motivated and we don't wanna lose again, one loss is enough for us," added Mays.
Merkel has a bye in the bi-district round and will face the winner of Jim Ned and Big Lake Reagan County in the area round.
- Updated Obama shortens more than 100 prison sentences
- Updated TDCJ: Criminal charges against Abilene corrections officer dismissed
- Updated Texan who faked being decorated Navy SEAL gets prison
- Updated New 'Dancing With the Stars' cast includes ex-Gov. Rick Perry, 12 others
- Updated Whistleblower lands a $22 million payday from SEC
Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire