SCOTTSDALE, Arizona - Matt Cain gave up two hits in five shutout innings and Hunter Pence and Andres Torres hit two-run homers in the San Francisco Giants' 5-2 victory over the Texas Rangers on Friday.
Cain, the Giants' opening day starter, got defensive help from his batterymate, Buster Posey, the reigning National League MVP. Posey threw out two runners out at second base on steal attempts.
Right-hander Derek Lowe, signed to a minor-league contract by Texas on March 6, made his first start of the spring and gave up two hits and a walk in two innings.
Pence hit a two-run homer in the fourth inning to break a scoreless tie and added a run-scoring double in the sixth for a 3-0 lead.
- Son of former Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Updated Police: Chase from Amarillo ends with shooting in New Mexico
- Environmental groups raise concerns over West Texas oil find
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer