CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - McMurry swimming had another good day at the 2013 Liberal Arts Championships, earning six individual A-finals finishes (as well as two relays) on Friday alone. The three-day meet – held at Coe College – concludes on Saturday.
The McM women got its lone A-Finals finish in the 200 medley relay, placing seventh. The quartet of Sara Ploetz, Amanda Genzling, Emma Donaldson and Samantha Spain touched out in a time of 2:02.57.
Ploetz also earned two B-Final placements, finishing 14th overall in the 100 butterfly (1:14.42) and 13th in the 100 backstroke (1:08.31). In the backstroke, Ploetz cut more than five seconds off of her preliminary time in the race.
Spain was 16th in the 200 freestyle (2:08.98), while had the day's highest individual finish for the McM women with a 10th in the 100 breaststroke (1:14.11).
The women's 800 freestyle relay (Genzling, Shannon Samples, Spain and Donaldson) was ninth overall (9:00.07).
In the men's events, McMurry brought home seven finishes in the A-finals, six in individual events.
In the 100 butterfly, Luis Aguilar and Craig Bell were fifth and seventh. Aguilar's time was 53.81, while Bell rang in at 54.08.
In the 100 backstroke, McMurry swimmers took the Nos. 4-6 places. David Bowers led the group with a 54.96, followed by Ross Winget (55.77) and Kent Grimes (56.04).
In the 100 breast stroke, Cameron Sikes got an eighth place (1:01.81) in the A-Finals race. Teammate Kamron Salinas won the B-Finals race – and placed 9th overall behind Sikes – in a clocking of 1:01.83.
Aaron Vasquez was 15th in the 200 freestyle (1:53.15).
The 200 medley relay team – Bowers, Salinas, Aguilar and Steblein – was third overall in a time of 1:38.39.
The men's 800 freestyle relay was sixth in a season-best time of 7:32.86. The team was made up of Sean White, Vasquez, Grimes and Aguilar.
The McMurry women, with just five competitors, still held on to eighth place after Day 2 with 114 points. The War Hawk men moved up to fourth place with 257 points.
Information provided by McMurry athletics department.
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth
- Teen killed in Coleman County motorcycle-truck crash
- Teacher Tribute: First-year Wylie teacher receives season's first honor
- Brookesmith school board selects interim superintendent
- Victim testifies against former chief in Anson sexual assault trial
- Clyde Intermediate School teachers save student from choking