ABILENE, Texas - McMurry University's Cody Howard has been selected as the Heartland Conference Hitter of the Week following a monster series against Newman University, announced the conference office on Monday.
Howard had a great week at the dish for the War Hawks, who took a four-game series from Newman by winning the final three games, including a double-header sweep on Saturday, April 27. In that series, Howard was 10-of-15 with two home runs, a double and six RBI. He recorded 17 total bases in 15 attempts and finished the week with a slugging percentage of 1.133 and an on-base percentage of .688.
"Cody has been a solid player for us all season," remarked head coach John Byington. "He personifies what it means to be a NCAA Division II athlete. He can do it all; hit for average or power, and play wherever we ask him to on the field. He is extremely versatile and overall just a great student of the game."
With the gaudy numbers this week, Howard has moved up to seventh in the conference in both batting average (.321) and slugging percentage (.448). He also leads the team in home runs with four, which also earns him second place in the conference. He also leads McM in RBI, having driven in 18 runs so far this year. Over the last 14 games, Howard has found his stride, reaching base 13 of the 14 games, and collecting at least two hits in six of those contests.
Howard and the War Hawks will finish regular season play on Thursday and Friday, May 2 and 3 when they travel to San Antonio for a three-game series with St. Mary's University. Double-header action on Friday will begin at 4 p.m.
Information provided by McMurry athletics department.
- Man shot in arm during road rage incident near Abilene
- Man convicted of indecency with a child now arrested in Taylor County
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Financial shortfall forcing Meals on Wheels to cut breakfast delivery in Abilene
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Sweetwater teacher accused of relationship with student resigns
- Bond reduced for Ranger man accused of murder
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Winters man one of 25 to receive prestigious Carnegie Hero medal
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash