McMurry University sophomore has been named the National Christian College Athletic Association's Men's Track Athlete of the Week, announced the NCCAA on Tuesday afternoon.
Wilkins garnered the award for his showing at the Texas Tech Masked Rider Open last week. In the triple jump, Wilkins earned a seventh place finish out of 22 competitors. He also bettered his own McMurry University indoor record with a distance of 46'4 ¾", improving on the mark he set last year by two-and-one-quarter inches.
"Dillon is very deserving of this award," remarked head coach . "He not only broke his record and is ranked 2nd in the NCCAA, but he is also ranked 4th in the long jump.
"He is a very hard worker and is a great leader to our team. He has set some very high goals for himself and we as coaches want to do everything we can to help him achieve success.
"As a freshman, Dillon was a part of the National Championship team for (NCAA) Division III and this has inspired him to step up and do bigger and better things this year."
Wilkins and the War Hawks will be back in action on Friday when they travel to Lawrence, Kansas to compete in the Kansas Jayhawk Classic.
Information provided by McMurry athletics department.
- Updated Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Federal agency publishes timetable for President Trump's Mexico border wall
- Texas murder suspect arrested; was in Daytona for the races
- Los Arcos restaurant to reopen Wednesday in Abilene
- Crews battling wildfires in Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Abilene BBB on high alert for phone scammers claiming to be with IRS
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue
- Wanted: Abilene police seek teen & woman
- Abilene City Council chooses water rate study after high bills