ABILENE, Texas - The Abilene Christian women's basketball team saw its three-game winning streak snapped by Lone Star Conference rival Midwestern State Thursday night at Moody Coliseum, 76-62.
The loss dropped the Wildcats' overall and conference records to 7-3 and 3-2, while the Mustangs stopped a two-game losing skid in improving to 8-3 and 3-2.
Junior Mackenzie Lankford led all ACU players with 21 points, but the Wildcats struggled mightly under the glass as they were out-rebounded, 50-25. ACU pulled down just 15 defensive rebounds, while allowing 19 offensive boards to the Mustangs.
Andrea Carter and Kristi Degelia paced the MSU offense with 26 and 20 points, respectively. Carter also had the most rebounds with 10, recorded five steals and a block, and was a perfect 8-8 from the free-throw line.
As a team, MSU went 24-28 from the charity stripe. By comparison, ACU struggled in making just 23 of 34 (.676).
The Wildcats entered halftime down 34-21 after being forced into 16 turnovers and held to 26 percent shooting from the floor (6-23), which included a paltry 12-percent success rate from 3-point range (1-8).
A 4-point play by Lankford with 9:30 remaining trimmed ACU's deficit to 18-12, but the Mustangs pressured ACU into consecutive turnovers under the basket and quickly regained their double-digit advantage at 22-12. MSU also helped its cause with a 13-of-13 first half-showing from the free-throw line.
The Mustangs started the second half 7 of 8 from the floor and grabbed their biggest lead of the night at 57-34 with 11:07 remaining. ACU could not get any closer than 11 points during the closing moments although it was helped by a 20-9 run from 11:21 to 5:37 of the second half.
Kelsey Smith scored 15 points in 21 minutes as she was in foul trouble early on. Whitney West provided nine points from off the bench.
The Wildcats return to action Saturday at 5:30 p.m. vs. Cameron. The Aggies defeated Angelo State, 70-61, Wednesday night to improve to 3-8 overall and 2-3 within the LSC.
Information for this story provided by ACU Sports Information.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer