ARLINGTON, Texas - Nick Tepesch pitched into the eighth inning in his major league debut, Lance Berkman had a key two-run single among three hits and the Texas Rangers beat the Tampa Bay Rays 6-1 Tuesday night.
Tepesch retired 12 straight batters before hesitating to pick up a slow roller from Kelly Johnson that went for a one-out single in the eighth. The 24-year-old right-hander left to a standing ovation after Desmond Jennings followed with his second double of the game.
Tepesch (1-0) allowed four hits and a run with three walks and five strikeouts.
Roberto Hernandez (0-2) gave up eight hits and six runs - five earned - in 6 2-3 innings.
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue
- State Rep. submits bill to end Brown Co. Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Texas ag. commisisoner calls for ‘hog apocalypse'
- Abilene City Council chooses water rate study after high bills
- Abilene BBB on high alert for phone scammers claiming to be with IRS