ARLINGTON, Texas - Martin Perez pitched six-hit ball into the seventh inning and the AL West-leading Texas Rangers beat the scuffling Cincinnati Reds 4-0 on Friday night.
The Reds have lost three in a row, and six of seven. They also have more concerns about right-hander Johnny Cueto (4-2), their opening day starter already on the disabled list twice this season who left after a batter into the second inning because of rightness in his right lat muscle.
Perez (2-1) struck out three in 6 2-3 innings. The left-hander was coming off a win last Saturday at St. Louis, where he allowed runs in each of the first two innings before holding the Cardinals scoreless over his last five innings.
Jason Frasor and Robbie Ross finished off the Rangers' second shutout in a row and seventh this season. Cincinnati was held scoreless for the sixth time.
- Forecasters say parts of Texas – including Abilene – face critical wildfire danger
- 3 arrested for engaging in organized crime in San Angelo
- Job fair to be held at Abilene Convention Center
- House speaker getting firsthand look at US-Mexico border
- KTXS Forecast: Very warm tomorrow but a cool down to look forward to by the end of the week
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- John Lackey commemorative billboard to serve multiple purposes
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting
- Abilene police receive $10,000 donation for new K-9