ARLINGTON, Texas - A.J. Pierzynski and Mitch Moreland hit consecutive home runs off birthday boy Jeremy Hellickson and the Texas Rangers held on for a 5-4 victory over Tampa Bay in their series opener Monday.
After Pierzynski's first homer for Texas, a two-out solo shot in the fourth that made it 2-1, Moreland pulled a 428-foot shot deep into the Texas bullpen in right-center field.
Alexi Ogando (2-0) allowed only one run on three hits but needed 89 pitches to get through 5 1-3 innings. The right-hander walked three and struck out two.
Joe Nathan, Texas' fifth pitcher, gave up a run in the ninth but got his second save this season and 300th of his career.
Hellickson (0-1) gave up three runs and five hits over five innings on his 26th birthday.
- Manhunt underway in Sweetwater after attempted traffic stop
- Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend
- KTXS Forecast: Drier and warmer weather for most to finish the work week
- Abilene residents weigh in on 25 years of the World Wide Web