SURPRISE, Arizona - The Texas Rangers have 36 pitchers in their spring training camp. Many of them are relievers looking for work and that means closer Joe Nathan will be surrounded by some different faces in the bullpen.
Relievers Koji Uehara, Mike Adams, Mark Lowe and Scott Feldman all left in free agency. Left-hander Robbie Ross, who was 6-0 with a 2.22 ERA in 58 relief appearances as a rookie last season, is getting a chance this year to compete for the No. 5 spot in the starting rotation.
Among the additions are Jason Frasor, the former Toronto reliever, and Josh Lindblom, acquired when the Rangers traded Michael Young to Philadelphia.
General manager Jon Daniels says he likes the collection of arms competing for jobs. Their first workout was Wednesday.
- Forecasters say parts of Texas – including Abilene – face critical wildfire danger
- 3 arrested for engaging in organized crime in San Angelo
- Job fair to be held at Abilene Convention Center
- House speaker getting firsthand look at US-Mexico border
- KTXS Forecast: Very warm tomorrow but a cool down to look forward to by the end of the week
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- John Lackey commemorative billboard to serve multiple purposes
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting
- Abilene police receive $10,000 donation for new K-9