SURPRISE, Arizona - Texas Rangers top prospect Jurickson Profar has decided against playing in the World Baseball Classic.
Profar has a chance to earn a spot on the Rangers' 25-man roster and has informed the team he won't leave camp to play for the Dutch team. The infielder turns 20 on Wednesday.
Texas general manager Jon Daniels said Monday that it was a tough decision for Profar, but that the team left it up to him.
Shortstop Elvis Andrus is among Texas players planning to go to the WBC. His absence from camp should provide extra time in spring training games for Profar.
Profar was called up last September and became only the third teenager in major league history to homer in his first at-bat.
- Updated Police: Abilene kidnapping suspect threatened to kill victim, family
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Mostly sunny and low 90s for Thursday
- Updated Terror attacks overseas affecting Abilene college programs
- Updated EpiPen price hikes causing trouble Abilene families
- Updated Abilene ISD institutes new drop-off policy